Thursday, June 14, 2012

Talking to Kids about Cancer


Why we do what we do...  our hearts are filled with gratitude that we could help someone, as so many of you have helped me.

I received this email from Ashlie Krejci, a friend of a friend, a "sister" who I have yet to meet. I had heard that Ashlie needed our book, surgery was imminent and she didn't know how to tell her two young sons about her breast cancer. (sound familiar?- all too- for me!) Ashlie is now home recovering and took the time to send me this email today.  
Nate's drawing from
Butterfly Kisses and Wishes on Wings: When someone you love has cancer... a hopeful, helpful book for kids
©2012McVicker&Hersh, LLC

Thank you so very much for this beautiful gift.  I was overwhelmed with gratitude and tears that a stranger would go to such length to get this book for us.

My son has asked us to read it to him every night.  It has helped us explain what we thought would be so impossible to a 4 year old.  Now he talks about "cells" all day long.  He says someday my cells will be good again and it makes me so happy that he understands!  He demonstrates his understanding by saying that his cells are pink and healthy like Daddy and Chase's and that mine are black and sick.  He then goes on to say that he is sad mine are so sick but that someday my cells will be pink and good again too.  I feel like crying every time he says this but instead I smile because I realize that because he understands what's going on he is able to verbalize his feelings and not be afraid.  He has also started drawing a lot of his emotions after seeing your pictures.  He draws me with no hair and then draws an assortment of hats that he says we can cut out and tape to my bald head when the medicine starts to make my hair fall out. 

I never could have imagined a four year old boy being able to grasp these concepts with such maturity-but YOU helped him with that!

I will be forever grateful to you and this book!

                                                                                  Ashlie Krejci

My heart sings.

No comments: