Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Survivorship: Owning Up

This past weekend was the AMC Relay for Life at Unionville High School, PA- (The local paper in this article cited Nanci as the author, not illustrator, and spells Hersh wrong, but- hey they mentioned our book Butterfly Kisses and Wishes on Wings!)
The water and also bead station, where you took a bead
and put it on a string for every lap you took

Survivor
nouna person who survives, esp. a person remaining alive after an event in which others have died the sole survivor of the massacre.• a person who copes well with difficulties in their life: she is a born survivor.

It was a first for me. I had been a part of cancer awareness events- either speaking about our book, or on the sidelines- signing and selling copies. But had yet to walk the walk, i.e. take a Survivor's Lap.
Maybe it is the word survivor.  We all face challenges and I didn't think I was really any different. But it has been a heck of a year and I was there because my sons, Griffin and Nate wanted to be there- supporting others- and me.  They were there with their own teams, raising money, and walking and walking- for me. I was proud, honored, and touched, and so I was there, too, owning up.  

The Longwood Rotary did a great job organizing the event; fun activities round the clock and perfect weather to boot!


Had a great time on Friday night meeting some amazing people, talking story as they say in Hawaii, and yes selling books with a portion going back to Relay for Life.  I went home around 10 pm but Griffin, Nate and friends spent the night.  I found a couple of very tired boys in the morning...
Nate's tiny head hidden in plaid

Griffin opted to sleep in the middle of the track field-
with two of his teammates
My buddy Kathy Hrenko, Executive Director of  Kennett After School Association After-the-Bell
and Longwood Rotary member in charge of Survivorship
taking some peaceful morning laps
Shane and Nate at the Community Breakfast
which concluded the Relay for Life


 Pancakes at the end of a long night seem to be the perfect icing on the cake!

Thanks for Longwood Rotary and the American Cancer Society for your efforts in bringing the community together to raise money, awareness and offer support to all of us.


No comments: