Sunday, March 27, 2011

The Diagnosis

Pages from
Butterfly Kisses and Wishes on Wings: When someone you love has cancer... a helpful, hopeful book for kids
Just getting to this point is nerve wracking... unless you're oblivious like I was - the first time.
I wasn't nervous when I got called back in for more films when the radiologist saw calcifications.

Cancer was not on my radar.

This time, I was a little more savy, a little more - what's the word... suspicious, or let's just say,
not surprised.

That doesn't make hearing the news any easier, or, sharing it with my kids.

And the diagnosis, is only the beginning.
More tests, more doctors visits, and finding the right path to take.

What I have learned:

Always trust your gut.
Always bring someone with you to appointments.
Talk to others who have been through this.
See as many doctors that you need to find the one that is right for you.

AND it matters where you have your imaging done and who reads them.

This is key.  Dr. Beth Deutch of Herspace Breast Imaging in West Long Branch, NJ is among the best and has been my "go to" person for proper diagnosis and guidance is creating my plan for tackling this disease.

No comments: