Monday, December 17, 2012

Disconnect on the screen and in the world

Snuggle Me
From Butterfly Kisses and Wishes on Wings
©2012McVicker&Hersh, LLC
Like you, the tragic event of this past friday at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, CT weighs heavy on my heart and mind. This senseless violent act, shatters all the families who lost their loved ones as well as the community- who will never be the same. The collective grief which President Obama addressed in his speech last night conveys the love and support we are all sending this small town. The outcry of everyone- parents, sisters, brothers- demonstrates our ability to love and be compassionate to one another. 

So where is the disconnect?  Why is our nation plagued with so many of these horrific actions taken by young men - all children of parents who are also dealing with loss and grief?

This is the cancer that no one is talking about. Violence, that is permeating our culture in the media and entertainment in the form of video games.  My kids claim they are the only ones of their friends who don't have Black Ops, Call of Duty, Halo... etc.  I know that isn't true, but I do know that our household is in the minority.

Many times over the years when my sons were younger and I would drop them off at a friend's home to play I would ask the parent that the boys not play any of those violent video games. Often, the mom would confide in me that she doesn't like those games either but that the father or dad thinks they are fine, or likes to play them with their son.  It hasn't been easy keeping them out of the house. It's an ongoing conversation but one that I stand my ground on.  I don't want that violence in my home. Period. Thankfully, my husband and I are on the same page. 

But maybe this is where we as parents, aunts, uncles, cousins, and friends begin to make the change that President Obama spoke of when he said last night- 



How about thinking about what is under your tree this year or on your child's screen? 

Let's raise our sons and daughters to be compassionate, resilient and non violent one less video game at a time.












No comments: